- 3 1/2 cups halved strawberries, divided
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons chilled stick margarine or butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Cooking spray
- 6 tablespoons frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping,thawed
- Whole strawberries (optional)
Combine 1 cup strawberry halves, 1/3 cup sugar, orange juice, vanilla, and lemon juice in a bowl, and mash with a potato masher. Stir in 2 1/2 cups strawberry halves.
Cover and chill.
Preheat oven to 425°.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.
Combine flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl; cut in margarine with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal.
Add buttermilk, stirring just until moist (dough will be sticky).
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 4 times with floured hands. Pat dough into a 6 x 4-inch rectangle.
Cut dough into 6 squares. Place 1 inch apart on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
Bake at 425° for 12 minutes.
Cool on a wire rack