- 3/4 pound(s) raw turkey sausage, spicy-variety, casings removed
- 1 medium onion(s), chopped
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 10 oz frozen green peas, thawed
- 2 Tbsp canned tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp fennel seed
- 1/2 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 12 oz uncooked whole-wheat pasta, ziti, cooked according to package directions
- 6 oz shredded part-skim mozzarella cheeses
Preheat oven to 350.
Crumble the sausage meat into a large saucepan and brown over medium heat, stirring often, about 4 minutes.
Drain off any fat, then add the onion and bell pepper. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes.
Stir in the tomatoes, peas, tomato paste, oregano, basil, thyme, fennel seeds, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat and cook uncovered 5 minutes, stirring often.
Stir in the cooked pasta and half the cheese. Spread evenly into a 9- X 13-inch baking pan. Top evenly with the remaining cheese.
Bake until the cheese has melted and the casserole is bubbling, about 20 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes at room temperature before slicing into 8 pieces.
***Makes 8 servings***