- 29 oz canned diced tomatoes, with Italian herbs (2 cans)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 pound(s) uncooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, four 4-oz pieces
- 1/2 cup(s) seasoned bread crumbs, Italian
- 4 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 spray(s) cooking spray
- 3/4 oz shredded part-skim mozzarella cheeses
- 1/4 cup(s) grated Parmesan cheese, fresh
Combine first 5 ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 35 minutes.
Stir in sugar and vinegar; simmer 5 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°.
Place each chicken breast half between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; pound to 1⁄2-inch thickness, using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Dredge chicken in breadcrumbs.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Add 2 chicken breast halves to pan; cook 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until browned.
Repeat procedure with remaining oil and chicken breast halves.
Arrange chicken in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Pour tomato mixture evenly over chicken, and sprinkle with cheeses.
Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes.
Let stand 5 minutes.
***Yields 4 servings***