- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 6 oz. yellow onion – diced
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 10 strips smoked bacon -chopped
- 2 granny smith apples – diced
- 2 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 2 lb. La Feria Yellow Amera Melt Loaf -diced
- 3 cups apple cider
- 2 cups whole milk
- 8 oz. Schreiber Ready Cut Cheddar Cheese – shredded
- 1 bunch scallions – chopped
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
In a heavy bottomed soup pot over medium high heat saute the onion, garlic, 4 strips of the chopped bacon, and the apples for 5 minutes.
Sprinkle the flour over the mixture, stir in thoroughly, and cook 2 minutes.
Add the diced Melt Loaf, apple cider, and milk to the pot. Continue to cook stirring constantly till the cheese melts into the soup base 10 minutes.
Blend the soup in batches with the shredded Cheddar Cheese, and strain the soup through a sieve.
Brown off the remaining bacon, drain from fat, and garnish the soup with the bacon bits and chopped scallions.
***Yields 2 quarts***